Monday, January 19, 2015

Week 2 of DLP 2015

On Friday night I was fortunate enough to get together with my friend , Karin, and her sister-in-law to get a bit crafty. I was dying to get to the Week 2 prompt from The Documented Life Project 2015 as I want to stay as up-to-date as I can. The art challenge was gesso and the journal prompt was "The beginning is always today" by Mary Shelley.

I decided to be quite literal and use the quote directly. It seemed kind of perfect because Monday, January 12th was my first day back to working out. I took a circuit training class and man, did it ever kick my butt! I was sore and walking around like an old woman both Tuesday and Wednesday, but would not have erased that for the world. It felt great knowing I had started up again! But I digress...

Using gesso in art journaling is not much of a stretch for me as I have both white and black gesso that I tend to use a LOT. I decided to start my page by using a stencil to put some white gesso down before I started adding color (so that I would have paler areas). I then used my Dylusions sprays in 3 different green hues to create my base. Once that was done I used some letter masks to put the quote down and painted over with my black gesso:
Once I had all the black gesso done, I used a strip of washi tape down where the light stenciled area ends on the right. I then used a white pen to mark of even rectangles for each of my days of the week and stamped them in (I will add what took place on those days later with another stamp set). I didn't want too stark a contrast where the quote was, so decided to use a large stamp I have with wording on it and stamp through the black areas with white gesso. Then I watered down some orange acrylic paint and splattered it everywhere. This is the final product:
Another week done and I am enjoying having these weekly prompts. The new one that came out on Saturday is about the color wheel. Being someone who LOVES color, I am sure I will have fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment